Gentleman Harry Simms, Flash, and the OED

Mon Sep 15 02:44:28 UTC 2014

Here is a matching passage published in 1825, i.e., before the 1841
publication that you have cited, but many years after the 1745
execution.

Year: 1825
Title: The Terrific Register: Or, Record of Crimes, Judgments,
Providences, and Calamities,
Volume: 1
Publisher: Sherwood, Jones, and Company, London
Start Page: 485
Quote Page: 486

http://bit.ly/XkQuu2
http://books.google.com/books?id=8esTAAAAIAAJ&q=haunts#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
CONFESSIONS OF A HIGHWAYMAN

Henry Simms was tried and executed for a highway robbery in 1745 after
conviction he gave the following account of his exploits: . . .

On my promise of amendment I got released, and more new clothes were
bought me, which when I got, I went to my old haunts, and this being
the time of Tottenham-court fair, I went thither, and saw my
companions tossing up for money. They soon recollected me, and were
glad to see me, so I went with them to a music booth, where they made
me almost drunk with gin, and began to talk their flash language,
which I did not then understand.
[End excerpt]

The second citation in the OED for flash in the appropriate sense is dated 1756.

flash, adj. 3
5 b. esp. of the language spoken by thieves: Cant, slang. Also quasi-n.

1747   Narr. Exploits H. Simms in G. Borrow Zincali (1841) II. iii.
ii. 129   They..began to talk their Flash Language, which I did not
then understand.

1756   W. Toldervy Hist. Two Orphans II. 79   Copper learnt flash, and
to blow the trumpet.

Garson