[Ads-l] Physical Wallet, Hardware Wallet - PLAIN TEXT THIS TIME

Michael Quinion michael.quinion at WORLDWIDEWORDS.ORG
Fri Apr 10 08:10:51 UTC 2015

> W3BsZWFzZSBhY2NlcHQgbXldIEFwb2xvZ2llcyBmb3IgdGhlIGdvYmJsZWR5Z29vayB5ZXN0ZXJ
> ... etc

As with mail from a very few other posters, I received this message in
encoded format. Following recent discussion I looked into it.

It's in a coding scheme called base-64. Copying the code into a new file
with the .b64 extension and opening it in WinZip allows me to read it as
plain text. Base-64 is a very common way of coding emails that may contain
accented or special characters; in itself this is unremarkable (I send my
newsletters in this format, for example).

The problem is that it isn't signalled as such in the message. If it were
within a conventional MIME-tagged block, my mail reader (Pegasus Mail)
would have no trouble decoding it. Either the LISTSERV system is stripping
the MIME header off (very unlikely) or the message is being sent by a
mailer that for some reason doesn't flag the text's encoding.

I would guess from comments by others on the list that some mail readers
are able to decode the text without the MIME headers being present.

--
Michael Quinion
World Wide Words