[Ads-l] [C18-L] Rochester, children, and theories

Fri Apr 10 09:57:38 UTC 2015

I found three matches with GB dates in 1946. That was the earliest
year I could find in a preliminary search. Two of the matches
mentioned "Lord Rochester" and one match mentioned "a veteran in the
marriage game". None of these 1946 matches has been verified on paper.

There is a blind match in 1947 in "Reader's Digest". The match is in
HathiTrust and no text is visible (that is why I am calling it a blind
match).

I can verify matches starting in 1949.

The Dictionary of Humorous Quotations (1949) compiled by Evan Esar
included the joke with an ascription to "ROCHESTER, Lord, 1647-1680,
English poet." This was the first cite I saw that particularized "Lord
Rochester". I do not know if there were any other candidates. Robin
pointed to another "John Wilton". Was he addressed as "Lord
Rochester"?

Nigel Rees included an instance of the quip in "Cassell's Humorous
Quotations" with a 1951 citation.

Here are selected citations in chronological order. This first
citation is a thematic precursor from 1904.