[Ads-l] [C18-L] Rochester, children, and theories

Sun Apr 19 14:49:57 UTC 2015

Update: While visiting a library I examined a volume of "The Reader's
Digest" and determined that the quip which has implausibly been
attributed to Lord Rochester was present in the June 1947 issue in a
short section called "Quotable Quotes". I still have not yet verified
the 1946 citations.

[ref] 1947 June, Reader's Digest, Volume 50, Quotable Quotes, Quote
Page 90, The Reader's Digest Association, Inc. (Verified on
paper)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
Before I got married I had six theories about bringing up children.
Now I have six children -- and no theories. --Lord Rochester
[End excerpt]

Garson