[Ads-l] "eat, breathe, and sleep"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 12 11:02:53 UTC 2015

Two unlikelies do not make a likely.

Besides, I know all about that answer because I first heard it from Dickie
Novogrodsky in seventh grade in 1960.

And it isn't unlikely at all. Indeed, the paronomastic requirements of the
Modern English conundrum (etymology unknown) in combination with the
limited universe of Modern English semantic possibilities make it all but
inevitable.

Perhaps the word you meant was "unexpected."

But an unexpected plus a neutral (the appearance of "eat," "breathe," and
"sleep" in a quite different context elsewhere) does not make a likely
either.

JL