[Ads-l] "prostitute/whore with a heart of gold" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mullins, Bill CIV (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Tue Apr 28 18:23:32 UTC 2015

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Upon reflection, "euphemism" isn't quite the word I was looking for.  For example, there was a polite fiction that Miss Kitty of Gunsmoke was a saloon keeper/hostess.  But the role she occupied was obviously that of a madam (who had a heart of gold . . .).  Clearly, the developers and writers of the show needed that character for dramatic purposes, but couldn't explicitly call her a "whore", so she was therefore a saloon keeper.

That's what I'm trying to get at with respect to chorus girls/prostitutes.  Were the dramatic roles they occupied in the 1920s/1930s really that of prostitutes, but everyone turned a blind eye to the fact and called them chorus girls, to avoid censorship issues?