[Ads-l] Hippie Christmas - Possibly not earlier than the 1990s.

Joe Salmons jsalmons at WISC.EDU
Wed Aug 12 21:36:08 UTC 2015

After THAT comment, I barely dare to return to the topic at hand, but I’ve been digging around here and asking folks. A friend says that ‘hippie Christmas’ has been in the use since the 1980s at least. Let’s see what more turns up.

And today, II assure you, it’s in common use, certainly in neighborhoods with lots of students. But that day is rapidly approaching and most people are cringing at the mention of the day/term. On the upside, with so many wealthy students these days (there’s a connection to Wilson’s message!), some (adult and emphatically non-hippie) neighbors actually go digging and find lots of great stuff there … flat screen TV two years ago, a rack of basically new shirts, virtually new bikes, etc.

Joe