[Ads-l] go for a "Burton"--a 1944 etymology guess (UNCLASSIFIED)

Sun Aug 16 15:24:02 UTC 2015

Thanks for your responses, and thanks to Stephen for initiating the
discussion. I am not sure when individuals attempting to explain "gone
for a burton" began to mention an advertising campaign. Below are two
examples from 1978 and 1987. In 1978 a letter was printed in an
Australian newspaper. The letter writer remembers the tagline "Where's
George?" which does suggest that he misremembered the advertisement
campaign for Lyon's teashops; however, he also stated that the
advertisements were presented in two phases. He may have been
conflating more than one type of advertisement.

Date: October 23, 1978
Newspaper: The Sydney Morning Herald
Newspaper Location: Sydney, Australia
Section: Letters to the editor
Letter Title: To 'go for a Burton'
Letter From: S. G. Young (ex RAF), Creighton Avenue, Morphett Vale,
South Australia
Quote Page 6, Column 6
Database: Google News Archive

Short link: http://bit.ly/1hFXR9Q

[Begin excerpt]
SIR, The origin of the phrase "Gone for a Burton" (Letters, October
14) is to be found in a huge pictorial advertisement which made its
appearance in London and the counties during the immediate pre-way
years.

The advertisement was a two-phase one; the first part posed the
question "Where's George?" and when sufficient time had elapsed in
which people's curiosity was thoroughly aroused, the answer, "Gone for
a Burton," was added to the advertisement hoardings. The pictorial
part depicted a work-man to whom the question had been put, and the
inference was that his mate had popped out for a quick one and that
the quality of the brew was such as to justify unusual risks, such as
his foreman's wrath and the continuance of his employment, being
taken.
[End excerpt]

In 1987 the columnist William Morris relayed an explanation he had
received from a correspondent about the origin of the phrase "gone for
a burton". The advertisement campaign described was similar to the one
used for Lyon's teashops; hence, this explanation might have been
based on a flawed memory.