[Ads-l] go for a "Burton"--a 1944 etymology guess (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Aug 16 16:05:28 UTC 2015

Irrespective of any ads, the phrase could still have originated in the
literal sense of "gone for a Burton."

All it would take would have been its adoption by say, members of a single
aircrew, to mean simply "not here; away." The extension to "killed or
missing in action" would not be difficult, and the phrase's novelty (aided
by a beverage-related postulated origin) could do the rest.

JL