[Ads-l] go for a "Burton"--a 1944 etymology guess (UNCLASSIFIED)

Sun Aug 16 17:01:27 UTC 2015

JL wrote:
> Irrespective of any ads, the phrase could still have originated in the
> literal sense of "gone for a Burton."
>
> All it would take would have been its adoption by say, members of a single
> aircrew, to mean simply "not here; away." The extension to "killed or
> missing in action" would not be difficult, and the phrase's novelty (aided
> by a beverage-related postulated origin) could do the rest.

I agree, JL. The "Time" magazine citation dated April 19, 1943 and the
"Flying" magazine citation dated May 1945 provide good support for the
explanation in which Burton referenced a beer. Dan's comment that
Burton referred to a type of beer instead of a brand name is
intriguing. There are many historical matches for "Burton ale". Here
is a remark about Burton ale's popularity:

Year: 2011
Title: Amber, Gold and Black
Author: Martyn Cornell
Publisher: The History Press

[Begin excerpt]
Today, however, Burton Ale is almost forgotten as a type of beer; a
style famous for a century and a half that became obsolete within a
couple of decades after the Second World War. Even in Britain, just a
handful of beers are still brewed regularly in the Old Burton mode,
and none of those bears the name Burton.
[End excerpt]

WorldCat has a listing for "Dictionary of RAF Slang" by Eric
Partridge; published by Michael Joseph in 1945. This book was
mentioned in the "Flying" magazine citation. I haven't seen it, but I
think it is a very good lead. Partridge says Burton referred to a beer
according to the "Flying" article.

Below is a citation from September 1942. The text below was from a
news service and it appeared in several newspapers in the
NewspaperArchive database. The content overlapped with a citation I
posted previously which employed the atypical meaning of "reprimand".
This instance was published earlier (1942), and it used a different
phrasing: "sent for a burton" instead of "went for a burton" or "gone
for a burton"

This citation may have been based on a misunderstanding.
Alternatively, multiple meanings were used until the
"missing/dead/broken" meaning became dominant.

Slang Text: One bought it; the other two sent for a burton.
Interpretation: One was killed; the other two were reprimanded severely.