[Ads-l] _stallion_: a sexually-attractive girl(!) or woman(!)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 20 21:39:22 UTC 2015

I guess that I  must have dosed off, it being ca. 3 a.m. Clearly, my
intention was to post more than a blank page.

Of course, there's, sadly, no was to be sure that a word so far down in the
alphabet has already been HDAS'ed.

IAC, _stallion_ has been used in the meaning, "(very) physically-attractive
chick who's 'healthy,', i.e. no thinner than e.g. Marilyn Monroe," since
the '40's, in The Lou. Naturally, finding relevant examples is a daunting
task, since, AFAIK, no one has attempted to define it. Hence, the only two
quotes that I can cite have the relevant meaning only because I say that
they do and, even IMO, the younger example is rather shaky. So, I'm not
going to bother with it

A. Say, look-a here, bar-waitress! Give everybody a taste, here, 'cause I'm
popp[iN], this morning [mjuniN], (stereo)typical BE word-play; cf., e.g the
more-recent, "Fo' shizzle, my nizzle!"]. (I'm fighting with my spell-check
to keep that from being corrected to, "Fo' sizzle, my nozzle!")
B. 'Ey, man! I thought you said you was *short*!
A. Yes. But that _*stallion*_ done knocked the lock off my money-belt!

Raid on the After-Hours Joint, by James R. Coe
 - Jimmy Coe and his Gay Cats of Rhythm
States Record Company, S-129, 1954

I.e. A's desire to impress an attractive woman with the fact that he not
only has money, but is also generous with it, has motivated him to show off
by spending "kern" to set up the house, despite his having previously told
B that he was "short [of funds]."

IME, "a taste" as a slang term originally had the meaning of "a sip of a
drink," just enough to get a literal taste of it, eventually coming to mean
any alcoholic beverage in any amount and in any form whatever, depending
upon the context, and then went on to mean "a small amount or a large
amount of anything at all. Needless to say, "a taste" also acquired the
sexual meaning of "a little bit."

I have a vague memory that _pop_ "buy a round of drinks for the house" has
already been mentioned, if not discussed, here. By odd coincidence,
 Green's and Dalziel's works are missing this meaning and, once again,
cruel fate prevents checking HDAS.

Apparently, I'm not the only BE-speaker to pronounce -ing in such a way as
to cause a phonetics prof to wonder and my wife to hear it as -eeng. Anyone
wanting to decide for himself can cf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwjVs8pehpM

WRT "gay," it wasn't until long after May 17, 1954 - a couple of days after
my eighteenth birthday - that the word came to have any meaning other than
"gay," amongst the colored.

I'm dealing with a cluster series, so some things in these posts may seem
strange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzpcPeoPnW0

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 2:53 AM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>