[Ads-l] News Article: Cold Book Storage at Harvard

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Feb 8 21:25:26 UTC 2015

Sounds much like our LSF, the long-term shelving facility in Hamden, CT, which is a lot closer geographically to Yale's Stirling Memorial Library than 30 miles (more like 4 miles), and even more closer [!], less than a mile as the Google maps, from where I'm typing this at home. Not that I could walk there in 15 minutes and request a book I needed; it's all done electronically as described.

They conducted tours of the LSF when it first opened, and indeed the books there are arranged by size, labeled by barcodes, and fetched by forklifts as the article describes for the Harvard Depository.  (Somehow I don't like the sound of that "Depository", but no doubt these lack windows that riflemen could aim from.)  My worry when I did the tour was that if a book somehow did disappear in the bowels of the LSF, it would be awfully difficult for humans to locate it.  Don't know how often that happens.

LH

P.S. I wouldn't have guessed that Harvard's Gutenberg is housed in Widener as opposed to Houghton; ours is in Beinecke, with other rarities.