[Ads-l] News Article: Cold Book Storage at Harvard

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Feb 9 02:30:02 UTC 2015

At 2/8/2015 08:01 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>Yeah, same for us, as Fred knows--the old "Yale classification" and
>LC.  Until Stirling was redone, each floor had materials
>side-by-side in both systems as determined by subject area
>(different parts of each floor), so the linguistics P (LC) books and
>journals began where the linguistics Yale F books and journals stopped.
>Now all the old Yale classification materials are segregated on the
>upper floors.  Less convenient for browsers, since where a journal
>will be stored depends on when Yale's subscription to it began; at
>some point, the new subscriptions coming in were all LC.

Interesting that I've never thought about this.  And I've even used
some books for which early editions use the old Widener
classification and later editions the LC classification, and their
respective sections are on different floors.  Yes, less convenient
for browsing.  I don't know whether Widener ever had both
classifications mixed with each other by subject -- my familiarity
with Widener dates back only a decade.  (In my school days I used the
engineering library.)

Joel