[Ads-l] Loss of the English dative

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 10 16:28:47 UTC 2015

The Association for the Teaching of English Grammar list ATEG-L has
discussed this a number of times, and it appears that this lack of
consensus on grammatical terminology is one of the bigger reasons why some
linguistically informed view of English grammar is not taught in the
schools.  And list members of various theoretical persuasions are unable to
come together on a proposal for a common set of terms, since such a set is
tied intimately to one's views on grammar.