[Ads-l] People used to go "all out."

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Thu Feb 26 21:00:16 UTC 2015

You _never_ push your chips into the pot. You announce your bet and push
your chips forward, and the dealer confirms that what you said matched
what you did, and then the dealer moves your chips into the pot. To
place or throw your chips directly into the pot is known as "spashing
the pot", and will require a long pause while the pot gets re-counted to
confirm how much you actually put in.

And yes, you can go all in with less than the existing bet, in which
case the pot will be divided and you can only win the value of what you
covered with your all-in bet. (If you're playing head-to-head, there's
no need for a separate pot--your opponent can only bet up to the maximum
quantity of your stash.)