[Ads-l] Antedating "star" for stage celebrity?

Thu Jul 9 22:49:19 UTC 2015

Stuttgart's interesting 1809 citation for "stars" included a
contextual reference to "the theatrical heavens". The 1800 citation
below for "star" also referenced a "theatrical heaven". Perhaps this
1800 citation does not qualify as an instance of "star" in the desired
sense because it is still embedded in a metaphor. I don't know. But
this citation helps illuminate the evolution of the meaning of "star".
Interestingly, the "star" was an author and not an actor.

[Begin OED excerpt]
star noun
 5. fig. A person of brilliant reputation or talents.
 a. An actor, singer, etc. of exceptional celebrity, or one whose name
is prominently advertised as a special attraction to the public.

[1779 J. Warner in J. H. Jesse G. Selwyn & his Contemp. (1844) IV. 30
 The little stars, who hid their diminished rays in his [Garrick's]
presence, begin to abuse him.]

1824   Compl. Hist. Murder Mr. Weare 219   Carter..was at a loss for a
star in the pugilistic hemisphere to produce him a crowded house.
[End OED excerpt]