[Ads-l] "him" et al.

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Mon Jul 20 15:42:12 UTC 2015

It is my impression that people usually use the appropriate form of pronouns as objects of verbs and prepositions when the pronoun appears alone, but often the "wrong" form when the pronoun appears with another object (whether pronoun or noun).  My data comes primarily from the two people I speak with most often -- although there may be a genetic predisposition: they are mother and daughter.

"The Father testified that the change in the parenting plan reducing his time with the children was traumatic to both he and the children"

Written by a professional (but occasionally disbarred or censured) lawyer in a brief.  I suspect he would have not written "traumatic to he."

Joel