[Ads-l] "him" et al.

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jul 20 16:15:24 UTC 2015

Another way of looking at it is that the object in such cases *isn't* a simple pronoun (him, her, me) but the conjunction that's the object of the preposition "to": "X and the children", "the children and Y".  While English speakers have rules (usually a shared rule) on what case to assign to a subject (I spoke to her, She spoke to me, *Me spoke to she), they/we don't have rules, especially shared rules, on what case to assign to pronouns *within* a subject or *within* an object of a verb or preposition (The children and me/I were upset, It was traumatic to he/him and the children).  Crucially in that case, the pronoun *isn't* the subject/object, so all (or at least many) bets are off.  The prescriptive rule is that the case of such pronouns must be the case that a pronoun would have if it weren't part of a conjunction, but that's not a rule that's subscribed to by actual speakers nearly as universally as the rule that subject pronouns are I, he, she, we, they, etc. or the rule that object pronouns are me, him, her, us, them, etc.

But Arnold is the expert here on such matters, so I defer to him.

LH