[Ads-l] Manually--now also by foot?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jul 22 15:57:04 UTC 2015

> On Jul 22, 2015, at 11:32 AM, Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> How, in 1991, could he "do the computation on his laptop manually" without
> typing with his fingers on the keyboard and hitting the Enter key to
> execute each step? (Today you could use voice commands.)

That's why I said the OED cite "involve[s] a contrast between electronic and human energy, rather than between using a less automatized rather than a more automatized method" and suggested it needs to be updated, and why I used the Stephen Hawking example to make the point that hands need not be involved.

> I don't see an issue with "manually" referring to a process requiring a
> finger on the keyboard to make each step happen.

Or a non-finger, in the case of voice commands or the Hawking-style communication.

> I do agree with the original point, thanks to Latin. I wonder if the author
> doesn't realize that "manually" means "by hand", and not "by a person".

Cf. our earlier thread noting the reanalysis of "mano a mano", as demonstrated by those (presumably unfamiliar with Spanish or other Romance languages) who refer to "womano a womano" confrontations.  But I'd put my money on the general shift of "manual" to mean 'non-automatic'.

LH