[Ads-l] fines for saying "you guys" to mixed groups?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 13 01:18:54 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 6:27 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> the general usage of both sexes

I'm not really sure whether I've ever noticed "you guys" being used to
address a multi-generic group. OTOH, I've been accustomed to hearing women
address groups consisting only of other women as "you guys" since ca. 1970.
IMO, this is probably the reason that anyone's addressing a group
consisting of manifold genders as "you guys" has failed to gain my
attention.

BTW, wasn't there a TV commercial, last year, in which a woman gushes "You
guys!" to a group consisting only of other women? Even if memory serves,
though, that's irrelevant, since the problem is that some people at some
company sometimes "accidentally" address an omnisexual gathering as "you
guys" and have agreed to fine themselves for committing this egregious
display of sexism, whose consequence is far more far-reaching and affects
far more women to a greater degree than the consequences of, for instance,
the Hobby Lobby decision or the decision to gut the Voting Rights Act.

--
-Wilson
-----