[Ads-l] RES: fines for saying "you guys" to mixed groups?

David Daniel dad at COARSECOURSES.COM
Mon Jun 15 00:15:15 UTC 2015

I've only ever heard men being called cunts in British English, in which it
has (or at least used to have) approximately the same impact/severity as
asshole in US English. Back in the 80's, when I was living in England, there
was a joke: What's red and dangles from a cunt? Answer: Arthur Scargill's
tie. You can see that asshole would have worked just as well (though perhaps
there is greater potential for having things dangle from a cunt), but the
Brits didn't say asshole - or even arsehole - back then; they said cunt. I
have only ever heard cunt used in US English - insultingly, that is - in
reference to women. Prick or dick for guys, cunt for women, twat for both,
though, when used to insult a man, twat has always meant more like "stupid"
or "useless" (perhaps a variation on twit?). BTAIM, going back as far as the
70's, I have always been intrigued by the reaction of total outrage from
women when calling them cunts. I have asked many women: Wait a minute. If I
call a guy a prick I'm being mildly vulgar but if I call a woman a cunt I'm
committing a beheadable offense? I never got any rational answers, which
convinced me it was an irrational issue, as most things are. Kind of like
the modern outrage surrounding "moist". I mean, half the cake-mix boxes in
the world have "moist" on them. What's the deal with that? Jeeez.
DAD