[Ads-l] fines for saying "you guys" to mixed groups?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jun 15 00:29:58 UTC 2015

> On Jun 14, 2015, at 5:53 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> Getting back to insults, why should men be insultable as "cunts," but women
> can/are never vilified as "pricks"?
>
> It's so "taboo" (to use an overworked term) that it nobody does it. (Or do
> women say it covertly, beyond the ears of the guys?)
>
> Moreover, according to a certain strand of feminist sociolinguistics, men
> should be/secretly are pleased to be called "pricks" (and "dicks"),
> especially by women, but women are rightly enraged to be called "cunts,"
> especially by men.
>
> The only practical solution to these glaring and unsupportable asymmetries
> is a thorough overhaul of the language. You know, chopping things out and
> retrofitting and so on.
>
> I have occasionally heard an enraged woman call another both "bitch" and
> "son of a bitch." But if "son of a bitch" flies (in a way that "prick"
> doesn't), what about "mofo"?

FWIW:
g-hits (actual, not estimated) for "She's a real prick" -tease, -teaser (for obvious reasons*): 12

g-hits (actual, not estimated) for "He's a real cunt": 49

Dramatic difference to be sure, but it's not like the former doesn't occur
Let's try it without "real"

"She's a prick": 99 (again, without "tease(r)" as a compound head, as it were
"He's a cunt":  187 (including song lyric "He's a cunt for the beans on toast", which you may find as catchy as I did:
https://soundcloud.com/big-john-and-the-buffs/beans-on-toast)

I have a feeling that most of the "he's a cunt" are < U.K., while that's not the case for "she's a prick".

LH

*In case you were wondering:
She's a prick tease: 43
He's a cunt tease: 7

Can't actually do a count on "she's a prick teaser" too easily, since the first of many hits relate to the claim, which I didn't try to substantiate via snopes or other means, that the Beatles' line "She's a big teaser" from "Day Tripper" ("She's a big teaser/She took me half the way there") originally was written and/or recorded as "She's a prick teaser" (cf. e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_Tripper).