[Ads-l] Random query: "cripple (shot)"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 27 22:46:40 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jun 27, 2015 at 5:54 AM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> HDAS has "cripple" from 1974 (heard from one of my college chums), but
> undifferentiated "crip" (a cinch) from 1923.

Having consulted it after the fact, as is all too often the case, I find
sufficient material in HDAS to indicate that "crip(ple)" was once rather
hip as a general term to describe something easily dealt with, especially
WRT sports, from ca. 1914 to ca. 1974, at least. That I know it
specifically as a term used in the 'Forties in basketball is, clearly, mere
happenstance.

An interesting outcome!

Thanks, guys!

Speaking of HDAS and of the 'Forties, there was once, in St. Louis, a
purveyor of men's clothing, Sol's Men's Store, carrying clothing catered to
the needs of the coolly-, the casually-, and the correctly-dressed colored
man. The store brand was designed by the no-doubt-non-existent house,
Ricky's of Hollywood. This business concern was one of the sponsors of
"Spider" Burke, the first black DJ on the radio in the greater metropolitan
area. Hence, he often played the business's singing commercial,

Sol's. Clothing. *Sto-o-ore*!
Fa-shions styled by *Rickyyy*!
That's. why. they. are. _*kicky*_!
S-O-ELLL-S! S-O-ELLL-S!

This is the only time and the only place that I have ever heard this word,
_kicky_, used by anyone, anywhere, and this is the only time that I have
ever heard it used with the perceived meaning.

_Kicky_ is in HDAS with the perceived meaning: "delightful, diverting,
exciting."

"Hell of a job, Jonny!" to coin a paraphrase. :-)

--
-Wilson
-----