[Ads-l] Quaint saying

Sun Mar 22 23:10:38 UTC 2015

A version with the phrase "shoot it up the chimney" was employed by
bestselling author Elmore Leonard according to a match in Google Books
snippet view. The GB date was 1993 but Worldcat shows editions were
also published in 1977. Of course, the 1977 text may have been
revised.

Year: 1993 (Copyright 1977)
Book Title: Unknown Man No. 89
Author: Elmore Leonard
Database: Google Books snippet view; data may be inaccurate; please
check on paper

[Begin extracted text]
"How deep was it?" Ryan said.
"It was so deep outside you had to shit in a shotgun and shoot it up
the chimney."
"That's pretty deep," Ryan said.
[End extracted text]

Google displayed the following alternative phrasings and minced variants:

[Begin selected Google matches]
crap in a shotgun and shoot it out the chimney
sh!t in a shotgun barrel and shoot it out the chimney
sh!t in a shotgun and shoot it out the chimney
s--t in a shotgun and shoot it out the chimney
shit in a shotgun and shoot it out the chimney.
sh at t in a shotgun & shoot it out the chimney.
poop in the shotgun and shoot it out the chimney
poop in the shotgun barrel and shoot it out the chimney.
hocky in a shotgun and shoot it out the chimney!

shit in a shotgun and shoot it up the chimney
shit in the shotgun and shoot it up the chimney
$H&t in the shotgun and shoot it up the chimney!
[End matches]