[Ads-l] Quaint saying

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Mar 22 19:35:53 UTC 2015

> On Mar 22, 2015, at 2:13 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> In 1975 a female graduate student from Knoxville described snow as being
>
> "so deep we had to shit in a shotgun and shoot it out the chimney."
>
> Bizarre. But more bizarre is that I now find precisely the same
> phrase in a student collection of Georgia folklore.
>
> Google  for MSS. 1003.02.09.pdf, and scroll to p. 11.
>
> Unfortunately I see no indication of a date.

Three google hits including this one that gives a fuller explanation of the reasoning involved:

"It snowed so hard where I live, we couldn't make it to the outhouse, the water in the toilet inside the house froze, and we had to shit in a shotgun and shoot it out the chimney."
http://uberhumor.com/just-a-little-snow-storm-in-my-city

And of course this is just one more powerful argument for the NRA:  just think of all those poor Bostonians who don't have shotguns because of those commie (or is it Nazi?) gun control laws in Massachusetts.

LH