[Ads-l] Substitute X for Y, or "all meat tastes like [not chicken but] corned beef"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Mar 22 23:44:06 UTC 2015

> On Mar 22, 2015, at 5:09 PM, Joel Berson <berson at ATT.NET> wrote:
>
> Menu at Lefty's restaurant/bar, Denver airport, United Airlines terminal:
> "Reuben Sandwich.  Shaved corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, 1000 Island Dressing, rye bread.  Make it a turkey reuben and substitute the corned beef for fresh turkey.  $10.95."

Thanks!  I'll add it to my collection of innovative "substitute" sightings.  The "the" would have given it away even if the (almost-)classic Reuben hadn't already been defined.  ("...Or turn it back into a classic Reuben and substitute corned beef for the fresh turkey.")

> Why does my "turkey reuben" taste like corned beef?
> Joel
> P.S.  And where's the Russian dressing?  I don't permit no substitutions.

The Russian dressing is hiding inside the 1000 Islands dressing. Maybe they let you hold the onion and pickle relish--just tell 'em that's the way they make it on Novaya Zemlya.

LH