[Ads-l] Peculiar use of "alleges" -- a self-alleged-ie?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 27 05:57:20 UTC 2015

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 3:09 PM, Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is this really such a peculiar use of allege? One of the definitions I see
> is " to assert without proof or before proving". That, to my reading, is
> exactly what Handler has done. That said, it is not my word choice; I
> prefer assert, or contend.

IMO, she does little more than hint that "she [or any other woman] _could_
have been one of the 20-plus women, [too, had she been in the right place
at the right time]."

That hardly rises to the level of "allege," "assert," or "contend."

I agree with Joel.

--
-Wilson
-----