[Ads-l] "sillar"? And noun or adj.?

Sun May 10 22:10:01 UTC 2015

The reply from Robin appears to answer the question. So this message
is simply an addendum. Joel: Have you seen the scans in Google Books
from a copy of the 1896 book in the Oxford University library?

Year: 1896
Title: The Scot in America
Author: Peter Ross
Publisher: Raeburn Book Company, New York
Original from Oxford University

https://books.google.com/books?id=2ggPAAAAQAAJ&q=%22and+meditating%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
That there were Scotsmen settled and doing business---perhaps making
sillar and meditating speeches about St. Andrew---before that time
there is no doubt.
[End excerpt]

Here is another instance of "sillar" in a Scottish poem a couple years
before 1896 that seems to mean silver.

Year: 1894 MDCCCXCIV
Title: Miscellaneous Poems: Chiefly Scottish