[Ads-l] "sillar"? And noun or adj.?

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Mon May 11 02:22:07 UTC 2015

Thanks, Robin.  I was half-way there, realizing that "sillar" could mean "silver".  I should have recognized that a Scot in New England would quickly pick up (if he hadn't already acquired them at home, as I think Scotsmen are reputed to have) the two main personality characteristics of the Yankee -- concern with making money and talkativeness about politics.  I don't know how long it would have taken me to connect "siller" with money.

Joel

      From: Robin Hamilton <robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Sunday, May 10, 2015 5:49 PM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] "sillar"? And noun or adj.?

Joel:

"Making sillar" is simply the (possibly literary or archaic by the 19thC)
Scottish Language version of "making money".

SILLAR and (more commonly)  SILLER are given as spelling variants of SILVER
(sense 6 -- money in general) in the DSL.

Curiously, all the examples there are from the DOST, though the term was
certainly current later.

Googling "mak siller" gives a wealth [!] of nineteenth century examples --
most couthily, from 1853, “Mak siller, Jock,” said a Scotch laird to his
son, “mak siller—honestly if you can, but mak it.”

(The above quotation was probably constructed by an Englishman:  it should,
of course, read "Scots [sic] laird," unless he was entirely composed of the
hard stuff.)

There's also the cliché, "Put siller in your purse ..."

Robin

Welcome to DSL, which brings together the two major historical dictionaries
of the Scots language:

        ◾A Dictionary of the Older Scottish Tongue (DOST)
        Older Scots - 12th century - 1700

        ◾The Scottish National Dictionary (SND)
        Modern Scots - 1700 - 2005

                            http://www.dsl.ac.uk/