[Ads-l] Euriopean (UNCLASSIFIED)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue May 26 15:38:14 UTC 2015

> On May 26, 2015, at 11:22 AM, Mullins, Bill CIV (US) <william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL> wrote:
>
> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>
> I recently saw " Euriopean" on a friend's web page.  I was going to email him to correct it to "European", but noticed that " Euriopean" has 4500 ghits, many from sources that you'd think would know what they are doing.  Is this a legit variation of "European"?

Lots for "Euriope" too; perhaps the assumption is that rather than being named for the Phoenician abductee (if not rapee) of Zeus qua white bull, the continent is actually named for one of the more obscure muses.  Euriope (rhymes with Calliope) is, of course, the muse who presided over commerce and bankruptcy, in whose honor the Euro was named.  The Greeks have obviously fallen behind on sacrificing to her of late.

LH