[Ads-l] 26 Names That Didn't Exist Before 2000

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Wed Nov 11 14:41:08 UTC 2015

If there were Princes among African slaves in the colonial period (Prince Hall of Massachusetts comes to mind), there must also have been Kings.  (Not to mention Queens, which perhaps is not on the list of 26.)

Joel

      From: Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 11:43 PM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] 26 Names That Didn't Exist Before 2000

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 9:57 AM, Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu>
wrote:

> "King" is not new.

I agree. I went to high school, 1950-54, with King McElroy, who was white,
and King Taylor, who was black, both of whom may have been in honor of - or
in imitation of - the inventor, King C. Gillette.

Is "Khloe," merely a better transliteration of the Greek than the Latinate
"Chloe," really worthy of being called "new"?

--
-Wilson
-----