[Ads-l] 26 Names That Didn't Exist Before 2000

000004bab32b5765-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU 000004bab32b5765-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Wed Nov 11 14:53:02 UTC 2015

Is the names or the spellings?

-----Original Message-----
From: Amy West <medievalist at W-STS.COM>
To: ADS-L <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Wed, Nov 11, 2015 9:50 am
Subject: Re: 26 Names That Didn't Exist Before 2000

---------------------- Information from the mail header
-----------------------
Sender:       American Dialect Society
<ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Amy West
<medievalist at W-STS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 26 Names That Didn't Exist Before
2000

My
limited thoughts on this:

1) BS

2) Wow, Netscape is still
around?

and

3) I have never understood why people think that spelling
"Heaven"
backwards as a name ("Nevaeh") would be a good thing: Aren't things

spelled backwards bad things? Wouldn't that be a really good name for a

Satanist kid?

---Amy "Wasting Your Bandwith Yet Again" West
(Note the true
evilness of my top-posting this: my audacity knows no
bounds . . . )

On
11/11/15 12:00 AM, ADS-L automatic digest system wrote:
> Date:    Tue, 10 Nov
2015 05:39:15 -0800
> From:    "James A. Landau"<JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM>

Subject: 26 Names That Didn't Exist Before 2000

fromhttp://isp.netscape.com/whatsnew/default.jsp?story=20151109-1327

don't know how accurate this list is.  For example, I find it difficult to
believe Khloe Kardashian is less than 15 years old, "Norah" is a variant
spelling of "Nora", and "Vivienne" is a variant spelling of "Vivian" which is
one of the names of the woman who seduced Merlin in the Arthur legends.

<begin quote>

> 26 Names That Didn't Exist Before 2000
>
> Before the year
2000--you know, way back in the last century--the name "Bentley" was pretty much
reserved for a British luxury automobile. And it was rarely, if ever, used as a
name for a baby boy. Fast forward to today. Bentley is now the 81st most popular
name for a boy, according to data from the Social Security Administration.

> Jennifer has been replaced by Hazel. And Michael has been dumped by
Elijah.

> What are other names are new to the 21st century? Mooseroots.com
dove into the SSA data on names to figure out which ones are popular now that
basically didn't exist before 2000. That is, fewer than 100 babies a year were
given any one of these names.

> Here are the 26 popular baby names that
basically didn't exist before 2000:
>   1. Bentley