[Ads-l] attactics; chest bumping

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM
Sat Nov 14 13:48:03 UTC 2015

On Fri, 13 Nov 2015 08:23:36 ZONE -0500 Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
wrote:

CNN speaks of Donald Trump's "attactics" against Ben Carson.

Earlier this week they spent some time discussing chest bumps. No, not that
kind.

Does anyone know when this peculiar practice began?  I doubt that I was
aware of it more than a dozen years ago, if then.

Similarly (and maybe we've discussed this), I first became aware of
high-fiving in the early 1980s.

JL

My response:

"High five" appears in Merriam-Webster's 11th Collegiate Dictionary, page 586, with a date of 1980.

I tried tracing the term in Google Books but the noise factor was too high.

   - Jim Landau