[Ads-l] attactics; chest bumping

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Nov 14 14:37:05 UTC 2015

> If you think about it, you will realize the high-five is similar to the
handshake, a means of saying "I am greeting you with no weapons in my right
(dominant) hand".

Without ancient evidence, this is called "overthinking," so I won't think
about it.

I've been watching to catch a (formerly unnamed) "high-five" in movies made
before before 1980, but have never seen one.  I don't doubt, however, that
the gesture will soon be retrojected by H'wood into the nineteenth
century, along
with the chest bump, to join other 20th C. mannerisms.

By the time I encountered "high-five" ca1981, it was  being used in
baseball to congratulate a scoring base-runner. I wasn't watching much
sports back then, and never football.

Speaking of gestures, the Discovery Science Channel is running ads that
feature (from memory) the motto, "Science Is Giving the Finger to
Everything That's Known!"

Where "is" = 'means.'  I hope.

Though it isn't much better.

 JL