[Ads-l] Fwd: fed up of; earlier from

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Nov 15 00:03:52 UTC 2015

Except that as we've discussed in various previous exchanges on the list, the tendency for various selected prepositions to neutralize to "of" ("bored of" is just one of many) is extremely widespread.  I'm dubious that each one is a sui generis blend; it seems much more economical to treat this as an instance of what we might call "_of_ sickness", on the model of "dative sickness" in Icelandic, the tendency for various object cases selected idiosyncratically by various verbs to be neutralized to dative.   In any case, I don't find the blend analysis a "no doubt"er.  (And anyway, how could we be sure it's based on "sick of" rather than "tired of"?)

LH