[Ads-l] "We ARE x !"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Oct 22 19:57:44 UTC 2015

> On Oct 22, 2015, at 3:39 PM, W Brewer <brewerwa at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> Wir sind Pabst!
> When Joseph Aloisius Ratzinger became Pope Benedict XVI, colleague Reinhard
> Duessel told me of that chant from the Heimat. Strikes me as stronger than
> <Habemus Papam> 'we have a pope': <Wir sind Pabst> lit. 'we are Pope', as
> if to say, 'we not only HAVE a pope, he's one of US!'  (Different from
> <*Popes R Us>, which might have been an old Italian slogan.)
>     I told Reinhard that <Wir sind Pabst> sounded more like a beer
> commercial. He didn't get it.

Or a cheer at Camp Randall, the rocking home field of Wisconsin Badgers football.  For some reason I couldn't fathom while I was living in Madison, PBR was the brew of choice there.  That was over 30 years ago, though--maybe the chant now is "Wir sind nicht mehr Pabst":
cf. http://alles-schallundrauch.blogspot.com/2013/02/wir-sind-nicht-mehr-papst.html

LH