[Ads-l] post-rational

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Thu Sep 10 17:47:32 UTC 2015

Wikipedia writes the following about Massachusetts, 1855.  I've inserted my guesses as to whether Trump's views are the same as the Know-Nothings', given that he's said almost nothing specific.

"It passed legislation to regulate railroads, insurance companies, and public utilities.  [likely No]  It funded free textbooks for the public schools, and raised the appropriations for local libraries and for the school for the blind. [surely No]  Purification of Massachusetts against divisive social evils was a high priority. [purify Massachusetts?  perhaps Yes!]  The legislature set up the state's first reform school for juvenile delinquents [surely No], while trying to block the importation of supposedly subversive government documents and academic books from Europe.  [from Europe?!  probably Yes]   It upgraded the legal status of wives, giving them more property rights and more rights in divorce courts. [No]  It passed harsh penalties on speakeasies, gambling houses and bordellos, [penalties on gambling houses?  Surely no]  It passed prohibition legislation with penalties that were so stiff—such as six months in prison for serving one glass of beer [probably No]—that juries refused to convict. Many of the reforms were quite expensive; State spending rose 45% on top of a 50% hike in annual taxes on cities and towns. [raising taxes?  surely No]  Extravagance angered the taxpayers; few Know Nothings were reelected."

Let's hope we don't reach the point of not reelecting with Trump.

Joel

      From: Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2015 1:32 PM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] post-rational

Well yes, even the Know-Nothings knew some things.  It might also be noted, as it has been--

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/07/opinion/paul-krugman-trump-is-right-on-economics.html

--that Trump is actually more pro-working-people than any of his competitors for the Republican nomination.  An easy bar, it might be argued, but there it is.  Rights of women, maybe not so much, and I wonder how he would have come down on the slavery issue.

LH