[Ads-l] Trump Know-Nothing

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Thu Sep 10 23:47:01 UTC 2015

>From what I heard today, Trump shares the following characteristic with the Know-Nothings -- at least when in New Hampshire, part of Puritan New England.  There he said he was a Protestant, a Presbyterian.  As close as one can get today to the old-time established church without actually being a Congregationalist, I guess.  And more compatible for Trump -- the Presbyterians are hierarchical.  The Know-Nothings admitted to membership only Protestant males.

Joel

      From: Joel Berson <berson at ATT.NET>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2015 1:18 PM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] post-rational

The history of the Know-Nothings shows more complexity than a simple parallel with Trump's anti-immigrant stance.  In Massachusetts in 1855 it passed much liberal and reform legislation.  To quote Wikipedia, "Historian Stephen Taylor says that in addition to nativist legislation:'the party also distinguished itself by its opposition to slavery, support for an expansion of the rights of women, regulation of industry, and support of measures designed to improve the status of working people'."  Wikipedia cites additional liberal legislation.

The dark side, of course, was its anti-Catholic, anti-immigrant stance (and corresponding legislation).  In the 1850s and 1850s the two were almost synonymous.  (It was not basically anti-German, but anti-German Catholic, and had support from German Protestants.)  Trump shares its anti-immigrant position, but his other half seems racist rather than anti-Catholic.

Joel