[Ads-l] Heard: "It was impossible to get a conversation going ...

Wed Sep 23 19:42:20 UTC 2015

Joel and all: Google Books contains a snippet match for an instance of
the saying attributed to Yogi Berra in Time magazine. Strangely, I
cannot obtain a match in the online Time magazine archive.
Nevertheless, there is a full text match in the EBSCO Academic Search
Premier.

Date: April 29, 1985
Periodical: Time
Volume 125, Issue 17
Article: People: On the Record by Richard Lacayo

[Begin text]
On the Record

Yogi Berra, 59, on a State Department dinner he attended: "You
couldn't keep a conversation going at all. Everybody was talking too
much."
[End text]

There are some later newspaper matches. The phrasing evolved. It was
mentioned by George Bush I.

LH mentioned the "too crowded, nobody goes there" quotation.

A 1989 newspaper commentator cast doubt on the "conversation"
quotation because it was "suspiciously like" the "too crowded"
quotation.

Garson