[Ads-l] when = 'if'

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Sep 29 18:38:08 UTC 2015

Interesting, but I think there's more to it.  The subject has to be an impersonal, "you" or "one", to get that non-temporal reading. (Of course, the Geico commercial [it is Geico, right?] plays on this by pretending that the audience for their commercials includes cats, but that's another matter.)  So consider:

When you're a Kurd, you have no homeland.  (No implication that you're sometimes a non-Kurd.)
When you're blind, railroad crossings can be a hazard. (No implication that there are/were times you aren't/weren't blind.)

or take this one, from the web:
"Creativity has got to start with humanity and when you're a human being, you feel, you suffer."
(Not directed specifically to werewolves or teenage mutant ninja turtles who can turn non-human.)

What you can't get, I think, is a case where the "you" really is second-personal and not impersonal, for example when no generic reading is possible. So compare:

When you're a woman, you avoid dark streets in sketchy neighborhoods after dark.
When you were a woman, you avoided dark streets in sketchy neighborhoods after dark.

Only the latter, with its true second-person subject, implies gender reassignment, sex change, or the like.  I agree that "if" paraphrases "when" in the relevant cases (i.e. when "one" more or less paraphrases "you"), but the tricky part is figuring out when this arises.

LH