[Ads-l] Enslavement of Native Americans [was: wench

Benjamin Barrett mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 1 17:18:52 UTC 2016

Z,

These are certainly interesting points in terms of use of language. Can you, in a straight-forward manner and without attacking people, lay out how you think the words slave, servant and enslaved should be used?

And can you describe how you think people should refer to the term slave when that is the term used in the lect they are discussing? I think it’s pretty standard to use the term in the lect under discussion, but perhaps there is another way of handling it.

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA