[Ads-l] RES: "that'll be the day"

David Daniel dad at COARSECOURSES.COM
Thu Apr 7 13:45:24 UTC 2016

I prefer Linda Ronstadt's version, which is here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0j4h9ajtgg. Everybody says "That'll be the
day" when applicable. No?
DAD

Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: "that'll be the day"
---

My grandmother (b. 1888) used to say, "That'll be the day!"

Come to think of it, it's been a long, long time since I heard anyone say
it. Will have to start using it.

BTW, "the day" might simply indicate "the most remarkable day ever." At
least that's how I interpreted it as a boy.

JL

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 6:59 AM, Robin Hamilton <
robin.hamilton3 at virginmedia.com> wrote:

> I think there Buddy Holly is playing off rather than reflecting the
> normal sense of the idiom, which would be:
>
>            'That'll be the day!" [when pigs fly].
>
> Sometime / Never
>
> Robin Hamilton

> ----------
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Wilson Gray
> Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2016 8:40 AM
> To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
> Subject: Re: "that'll be the day"
>

> _That'll Be the Day_
>
> by Buddy Holly and Jerry Allison
>
> Well, that'll be the day, when you say goodbye Yes, that'll be the
> day, when you make me cry You say you're gonna leave, you know it's a
> lie 'Cause that'll be the day, when I die
>
> Et seq.
>
> On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 2:05 AM, x <
> 0000053c1ce4c7f7-dmarc-request at listserv.uga.edu> wrote:
>
> watched john wayne's the searchers yesterday in which wayne repeatedly
>> says "that'll be the day". but what "day" is he talking about? and
>> what "day" does the phrase refer to? i wonder if the phrase has a
>> biblical reference. is it possibly the "day" of the apocalypse, the
>> last day on earth? makes sense.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>

> --
> -Wilson
> -----
> -Mark Twain

---
Este email foi escaneado pelo Avast antivírus.