[Ads-l] juice = ink for marking cards, juice(d) cards; bug juice/Kool-Aid (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mullins, Bill CIV (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Fri Apr 15 15:34:14 UTC 2016

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

Marked cards are called "readers" (OED: 1887).  Cards which have been "juiced", or subtly tinted with a colored solution such that they can only be distinguished through colored contact lenses or spectacles are called "luminous readers".   I've seen descriptions of their use as far back as 1826 (without using these terms in describing them).

Readers
_Boston Weekly Globe_ 15 Dec 1886 p 3 col 6 [newspapers.com]
"This is performed with marked cards, or what are called "readers." . . . These marked cards or "readers" are made and sold largely in America by circular, and a single pack costs as much as a "fiver.""

Luminous Readers
_Winnipeg Tribune_ 2 Mar 1940  sec 2 p 5 (whole page # 32) col 2 [newspapers.com]
"This innocent-looking eyeshade made by Mason & Co., Chicago, enables the user to tell "luminous readers" -- cards which the catalogue says "do not bear any visible mark, but when viewed with our Luminous Visor the work appears as plain as the figure 8 on the back of the cut pictured.""

I think it means to tamper in a very specific way, that is, to tint them with barely-visible colored ink.