[Ads-l] Straphanger (UNCLASSIFIED)

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Fri Apr 15 18:54:33 UTC 2016

I don't have a written citation, but I recall the figurative sense from c.1988 during my stint in the Army. I recall it quite distinctly because the term was new to me.

We were at Grafenwoehr Training Area and asked if our battalion would host a visit from the secretary of the Army, who was visiting GTA and wanted to see a unit training in the field. Our battalion commander said he would be happy to (as if he had a real choice in the matter), but he didn't want any "straphangers" accompanying the secretary. He surmised, quite correctly, that the secretary just wanted a photo op with some soldiers and would be no trouble, but the majors and lieutenant colonels who accompanied him would be on the lookout for anything to find fault with and thereby justify their existence.

(The event was also memorable because as the battalion chemical officer I always carried a CS (tear gas) grenade with me when in the field, so the troops wouldn't get any advance warning of a chemical training exercise--if I didn't have it with me at all times, it's presence would be a signal. When the secretary was visiting, my boss, the battalion operations officer, said in a loud voice, "Dave, now is your chance to gas the secretary of the Army." The secretary's security detail moved between him and me and kept a wary eye on me for the rest of the visit. It was rather uncomfortable.)

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Mullins, Bill CIV (US)
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2016 1:11 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Straphanger (UNCLASSIFIED)

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

> -----Original Message-----
> From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On
> Behalf Of Dan Goncharoff
> Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2016 11:59 AM
> To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
> Subject: Re: Straphanger (UNCLASSIFIED)
>

> ----
>
> I doubt Wichita had a subway in 1892.

The article appears to be a reprint from the NY Tribune.

> The use of the word "car" leads me to think the quote refers to a train, not a "subway or bus".
> Perhaps the OED definition needs to be widened?
>
> Also, this is a 'literal' use -- referring to standing passengers
> hanging onto straps -- and not a general use for all passengers,
> standing or otherwise. I wonder when some (the standees, who should be standers?? -- we don't call those sitting sittees, do we?) became representative of all.

I noted it as "literal" because I intended to also supply figurative cites (straphanger - one who attaches himself, perhaps undeservedly, to an activity or project), but wasn't able to find any appropriate quotes to support them.

I did see numerous instances in which "straphangers" referred to subway/bus/mass transit passengers in general, but didn't do anything to document them.