[Ads-l] _suffer from the shorts_

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 15 21:56:10 UTC 2016

Pros May Suffer From The Shorts . - Google News
The [St. Petersburg, Florida] Evening Independent - Mar 12, 1962 - Page 4
Pros May Suffer From The 'Shorts' [headline]
https://goo.gl/poC8SS

The article is about the wind on a golf course. I leave interpretation of
the headline as an exercise for the reader.

The Killer Instinct & Other Stories from the Great Depression
https://books.google.com/books?id=5EggAQAAIAAJ
Lew Amster - 1987 - ‎Snippet view
His manager found it impossible to get Joey another match. Soon, Joey began
to _suffer from the shorts_, a contraction of the wherewithal necessary for
the pursuit of life, liberty and so forth.

In the above meaning, the phrase was in common use, IME, amongst the
colored in StL from the '40's. Given the title of the book, it wouldn't
surprise me, if there were earlier, actual documentation in HDAS.
--
-Wilson
-----