[Ads-l] OED March 2016 New Words notes (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 16 23:37:29 UTC 2016

There should be some way to keep this kind of thing from happening. I've
been victimized by it, myself, leading to annoyed/annoying responses to the
effect that "I'm not the one who said this."

In this case, Jon clearly didn't intend that his comment should be attached
to my autobiographically-trivial non-sequitur.

On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 10:15 AM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> "Army green" 1897 is puzzling, since the U.S. Army at that time wore blue,
> as it had for over 100 years.
>
> Perh. the color term was coined simply to complement "navy blue," w/o
> reference to contemporaneous uniforms.
>

> JL
>
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 8:00 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 4:23 PM, Mullins, Bill CIV (US) <
> > william.d.mullins18.civ at mail.mil> wrote:
> >
> > > Army Navy -- (1945, adj meaning military surplus)
> >

> > In StL, we used "war-surplus store," which, together with "Army-Navy war
> > surplus store" in a separate cite, goes back only to 1946 in print,
> > according to GB. At the war-surplus stores - right after V-E Day, such
> > stores sprang up like mushrooms - in what had not yet become the 'hood
> were
> > sold brand-new, unboxed gas masks, pilot's leather caps, and goggles,
> for a
> > quarter apiece. They probably sold other stuff, too, but those three
> items
> > were the must-haves.
> >

> > --
> > -Wilson
> > -----
> > All say, "How hard it is that we have to die!"---a strange complaint to
> > come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
> > -Mark Twain

> --

-Wilson
-----