[Ads-l] Central site for antedatings WAS Re: Antedating of "Simoleon"

Wed Aug 10 23:19:06 UTC 2016

"George Thompson, I think, may be sending them information from the list"

Not at all.

GAT

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu>
wrote:

> The ultimate place to check for antedatings, I think, is the OED, by which
> I mean not just the published dictionary but also emailing the staff to ask
> what is in their unpublished files.  I believe that the OED staff checks
> the ADS-L listserv for antedatings (George Thompson, I think, may be
> sending them information from the list).
>

> In terms of public websites, the ADS-L archives are the best source for
> antedatings. Other than the material that the OED staff itself finds, ADS-L
> is far and away the most prolific source of antedatings nowadays.
>

> barrypopik.com is worth checking for Americanisms and food terms and some
> other categories of vocabulary.  I don't know whether the OED staff checks
> barrypopik.com or not.  (Nowadays Barry seems to focus on quotations and
> jokes much more than on lexical items, but there is very rich information
> on antedatings of words and phrases in his older material.)
>

> I contribute almost all my antedatings to the OED.  Nowadays I post almost
> all my antedatings on ADS-L, but thousands of my older antedatings are not
> in ADS-L.  So emailing me is an option, although I don't have great access
> to my own older antedatings and I myself find it easier to email the OED to
> ask about my own older antedatings.
>

> Other than Barry and the ADS-Lers, most people who make antedating
> discoveries send their findings to the OED.  The antedaters (besides Barry)
> who don't send their findings to the OED and don't post on ADS-L are the
> elusive ones, but they don't produce a large amount of antedatings.  A new
> website probably wouldn't attract their contributions very much.
>

> For modern terms, I find it easier to search ProQuest, Newspapers.com,
> Readex, Google Books, etc. myself than to check the ADS-L archives and
> barrypopik.com and email the OED staff (I also have some access to
> internal unpublished OED databases, but I generally don't check things
> there).
>

> The question about giving away hard-won research is an interesting one.
> Because I send almost all my discoveries to the OED and ADS-L, I sometimes
> get in the situation where I want to write an article about a discovery but
> realize that I have pre-empted myself and the discovery is already publicly
> available or available for those with access to the OED.
>

> Fred Shapiro

George A. Thompson
The Guy Who Still Looks Stuff Up in Books.
Univ. Pr., 1998..