[Ads-l] Antedating of "toodle-oo"

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 23 19:48:50 UTC 2016

I just noticed that the man, "G [illegible] Sims mentioned in the 1901 Yorkshire Evening Post article could be the same George Sims who wrote Hugo's 1904 piece in The Strand.

Interesting.

Many of the examples in the British Newspaper Archives before 1909 relate to the stage, where some performer apparent sang a song, or did a skit, using the expression as early as 1902.

From: pjreitan at hotmail.com
To: ads-l at listserv.uga.edu
Subject: RE: Antedating of "toodle-oo"
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 12:38:53 -0700

The British Newspaper Archives (http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk) have numerous examples dating to as early as 1899.
Free clip-cite searches:
For example:

Blackburn Standard (Lancashire), May 27, 1899, page 11:
"That's all right. But she's in your way, too.  Ole man. The other laughs shamefacedly.  Well, I s'pose we must say toodle-oo."

The second earliest example is from 1901, when it was apparently still novel:

Yorkshire Evening Post, May 20, 1901, page 3.
"Mr. G. . .. Sims, who has been visiting Birmingham, comments on the fact that several couples at parting say, Well, toodle-oo, instead of the usual . . ."