[Ads-l] Antedating of "toodle-oo"

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 23 19:38:53 UTC 2016

The British Newspaper Archives (http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk) have numerous examples dating to as early as 1899.
Free clip-cite searches:
For example:

Blackburn Standard (Lancashire), May 27, 1899, page 11:
"That's all right. But she's in your way, too.  Ole man. The other laughs shamefacedly.  Well, I s'pose we must say toodle-oo."

The second earliest example is from 1901, when it was apparently still novel:

Yorkshire Evening Post, May 20, 1901, page 3.
"Mr. G. . .. Sims, who has been visiting Birmingham, comments on the fact that several couples at parting say, Well, toodle-oo, instead of the usual . . ."