[Ads-l] Antedating of "toodle-oo"

Hugo hugovk at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 23 06:18:09 UTC 2016

toodle-oo, int.

OED: 1907

The Strand Magazine, Vol. xxviii, No. 165, September 1904, p. 329,

George R. Sims, "Off The Track in London", "V.--Round Hackney Wick"

===
In one of the country gardens two gaily-dressed young coster girls are
sitting and chatting with the cottager and his wife. They sit among
the flowers and look for all the world like young London lasses who
have come to the village to astonish the country folks with their town
finery. When they rise and bid the old folks good-bye, and coming
through the little wicket stand for a moment at the wooden palings to
say “Toodle-oo” in the cheeriest of Cockney accents, we are at first
astonished. For a moment my colleague and I had imagined we were in a
rural hamlet and in the heart of green England.
===

https://archive.org/details/TheStrandMagazineAnIllustratedMonthly

There's an illustration of the scene:

https://archive.org/stream/TheStrandMagazineAnIllustratedMonthly/TheStrandMagazine1904bVol.XxviiiJul-dec#page/n251/mode/1up